by Josh Jacobson
Remember the massive effort undertaken to make sure that the world’s technology was ready for Y2K? The BBC reported that the work done in preparation for Y2K cost over $300 billion. Most of that work was considered a success if it remained completely invisible.
At Xobni, we’ve had our own little Y2K in recent weeks (minus the $300 billion price tag) and we call it “Y2K+10.” When Microsoft announced that Outlook 2010 would be available to consumers in June, we were excited to integrate with the updated platform. Since then, a select group of us have been heads-down (others were slightly pre-occupied). Integrating with the new 64-bit flavor of Outlook accounted for a hefty portion of the effort, though users of all versions of Outlook + Xobni will now benefit from that groundwork.
Today, I’m pleased to announce that Xobni now fully supports Outlook 2010 – a full six weeks prior to the expected consumer launch of the brand-new version of Outlook. In addition, Xobni 1.9.2 is also fully compatible with the free Outlook 2010 beta that is currently available to the public.
While most of our focus has been on making Xobni work seamlessly with Outlook 2010 (in fact this has been the #1 feature request recently), we have also incorporated Xobni into the new Outlook ribbon for 2010-only functionality. In addition, there are a few features, detailed below, that will be attractive to Xobni users with Outlook 2003 and 2007 as well.
So please download Xobni 1.9.2 (build 10908) and enjoy the “invisible” features today. 🙂
Update: CNET’s Download.com has given Xobni five out of five stars! See the full review.
Update 2: Build 10605 has been replaced with build 10908 to fix an “Xobni not loading” issue that some were experiencing.
(All features mentioned below are new since version 1.9.1 build 10169):
Outlook 2010 Compatibility
- All features available in previous versions are now working and optimized for Outlook 2010 (32-bit and 64-bit) public beta version and later.
- New Quick-Access in the Ribbon (see illustration)
– Search from Ribbon when Xobni sidebar is collapsed
– Show/Hide Xobni sidebar with one click
– Xobni menu always available
- If multiple Outlook windows are open, clicking “Show/Hide Xobni” will move the Xobni sidebar to your current Outlook window.
- Many users who are not “administrators” on their computers can now install Xobni.
- Fewer conflicts experienced with other add-ins (Trend Micro Anti-Spam, for example)
- Xobni AutoSuggestions can be deleted from the compose screen. Simply highlight the suggested email address you’d like to delete and hit the “delete” key. If you email that address again in the future, the suggestion will return after the next Xobni index process takes place.
- Twitter profile images now show in business card area if a Twitter name is already chosen (see illustration).
More Minor Changes
- Users of Xobni One who have more than one copy of Outlook will now see profile photos transfer from one Xobni sidebar to the other.
- Photos of people appear in the Network tab instead of small grey or orange icons.
- The Network section has been moved below the Files Exchanged section.
- Task bar is now to the left of the Xobni bar in Outlook 2010
- Xobni shows the recipient of the currently-selected email if the email is from you, no matter what folder it’s in. This is helpful for users that keep their sent mail outside of the default Sent Items folder.
- In Outlook 2010, the minimized Xobni is slightly wider than in Outlook 2007
- When the Xobni installer completes and runs Outlook for the first time, the message “Windows Desktop Search is not available” may appear at the bottom of Outlook. Restarting Outlook solves this permanently (details).
General info: After you download, you will be prompted to close Outlook and the new Xobni version will be installed. All of your data (merges, contact information entries) will be maintained, no matter what version you are using currently.
If you have already purchased Xobni Plus, this download will simply update your software. You will not need to sign in again and no extra fee is required.
Thanks for using Xobni!